Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Battle Tank Upgrade: Demo Prototype!

Demo prototype modular hex map for battle tank
For a look at the older prototype for comparison, click here

-CJ Andersen

Hello all.  We've been hard at work improving our prototype to be easier on the eyes and much closer to what a finished version would look like.  And now we have results we can actually show you!  I hereby dub this iteration our Demo Prototype.  Click this link to see Erik's gallery of pictures of the new prototype

Aside from minor tweaks, the tile artwork is done and updated with suggestions from you all.  The tiles are now printed in full color and not in draft mode, as our first prototype was.  You will notice the center hex on each tile is now colored red to help visually when you're playing robots (since new robots enter play from the center hex).  Rather than being pasted onto corrugated cardboard we had lying around, our Demo Prototype is glued to hardboard (as of now our plans are for the salable products to be glued to chipboard).  We are getting quotes for the price of a custom hexagonal die to make cutting these in bulk much easier and streamlined.

You may also notice some colorful additions.  Through trial and error, we have been experimenting with molding our own tokens and casting them in resin.  They're not perfect yet, but with steady improvements as each batch is made we're getting a firm grasp on the process and will be able to produce as many of the little tanks and robots as we need.

Next on the itinerary will be to make a MegaMech token, and then this thing will be fully playable.  For those of you in the south shore of MA, we will be arranging a time to Demo this game at Battlegrounds in Abington, MA, so stay tuned for future announcements.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Learning Experience

-Erik McGrath
Yesterday we decided to cancel funding for the Battle Tank Kickstarter. We didn't want to do it but it was apparent we weren't going to make our goal in the time we had left and that we were better off stopping now and regrouping.

We have learned some valuable things about what to do (and not to do) in the future though, so all in all I consider this a win. In the next few weeks we will be physically improving our prototype, making new videos, expanding the storyline and spending much, much more time getting the name out there.

All of yesterday was spent strategizing. We need to make our operation as small as possible and do as much in-house as we are able. That means sourcing materials and putting our own skills to use assembling the game rather than sending it out for production. In the future, or as a stretch goal, we want to be able to produce a larger number of sets but that would require a larger goal and we would much rather succeed small and have to work overtime rather than fail again.

For right now my focus is on building molds and casting tanks and robots to replace the cardboard chit stand-ins we have been using. CJ will be putting the finishing touches on the artwork for the tiles.

So please continue to give us feedback.  This campaign has been extremely educational, and will allow us to focus our zeal for making games into better marketing.  You can give us feedback here by leaving comments, or by emailing us at